Tuesday 15 March 2011

Badger Badger Badger Badger

Last week I was lucky enough to get a place on the Vinspired ‘Big Societys Big Mouth – Social Action Training day. The training day was aimed at young people in Knowsley aged 16-25 who want to make a difference in their local community.

The aim of the training was to teach us;
  • Project management skills
  • Creative thinking and problem solving
  • Volunteer recruitment
  • Managing and delivering our own projects
I went along with Cousi, the other volunteer in Halewood Arts Association and it was such a good day. There was only 4 of us there, along with the two Vinspired representatives and also two young volunteers from Knowsley who where helping to deliver the training.

 
I learnt so much! They basically taught us step by step how to plan, organise and then partake in our own event / community project. Working within Halewood Arts Association, a volunteer led organisation, it was great to get some formal training in how to apply for funding, how to get other volunteers on board and how to deal with any problems along the way. Carole at Halewood Arts has already taught me so much, but any extra training is always a bonus.

 
I was on team ‘Badger’ as our scenario to work through was the tidy up of an adventure park, that also had an endangered badger settlement within it. The word badger was thrown about far too much and now whenever I hear the word badger, me and Cousi can’t help but giggle.


Team Badgers wonderful 'Volunteer Recruitment' Poster, my best peice of work to date.
It was also great to meet some other local volunteers within Knowsley who we could swap details with and potentially work with in the future! It definitely inspired me to carry on with all my volunteering work. (Although if you are reading this and would like to offer me a full time / any job, feel free!)

 
I am about to start the event managing of a ‘book launch / celebration’ evening with Carole at Halewood Arts and I will definitely be using all the information and training I was given when planning this project. I will blog more about this when I know more details, as we are in the very early stages of planning at the moment.

 
The next couple of months I have a few exciting projects / opportunities coming up and although I was shouted at yesterday for looking ahead too much I can’t wait to get stuck into them all.

No comments: