Wednesday 17 March 2010

WORKWORKWORK

As you can see from the title its all work work work in the house at the moment. Everyone is really getting into our final projects and I am really enjoying getting stuck in!

At the moment I am focusing on Zone 1 of my exhibition. This area is the Liverpool section. This is the first place the visitor will see and I want it to feel as real as possible. Luckily with the amazing plans I received from the Liverpool Maritime Museum I have a lot of space to play around with. I can add walls and create any space I want. So I am just trying to sort through the different zones etc at the moment. Zone 1 will hopefully include;

1. A Liverpool street, filled with traders, emigrants and runners. (Runners were young men and boys who would trick emigrants into letting them carry their bags, then steal them and sell them back to them later for a price! Horrible!)

 

This is Bold St in the early 1900s. I love looking at old pictures and comparing with how the area looks today.

2. An emigrant lodging house. Some of them where horrible places. Before emigrants could board the ship, they would have to stay in Liverpool for around 10 days living in the lodging houses. This is another place the runners took advantage of, tricking emigrants into thinking the houses where lovely, when in fact most of the time they where horribly overcrowded and dirty, only realising once they had paid.




 3. The Dock, obviously I wont be able to recreate the whole dock within the exhibition, but the getting on board and chaos is something I really hope to get across. 

Below is a very early photo of Georges Dock in Liverpool. I love this photograph.




 I should really get back to it, I have a lot to do.



No comments: